Monday, August 9, 2010

God of all Comfort

"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is they faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I will hope in him'" (Lamentations 3:21-24 RSV)

Once upon a time Max Lucado sat in a doctor's office waiting anxiously for his test results. As He sat there waiting, he looked around the room and noticed all of the doctor's accomplishments and diplomas. He became less nervous. But just like you and I when he started reading about his diagnosis his nerves returned. His peace was lost. Now imagine the office being God's. All you have to do is keep your focus on God and you will not be anxious. Remember to keep your gaze upon His numerous diplomas and accomplishments.

God has hung his diplomas in the universe. Rainbows, sunsets, horizons, and star sequined skies. He has recorded his accomplishments in Scripture. We're not talking six thousand hours of flight time. His resume includes Red Sea openings. Lions' mouths closings. Goliath topplings. Lazarus raisings. Storm stillings and strollings. (Max Lucado)

Another day is done. Yea! It's sad that I kind of (in a way) am just wishing my days away. But I believe that there are better days ahead. And I just want to get to those days. Now don't get me wrong; I am still trying my best to enjoy this beautiful life that God has given me but I am human. This morning I woke up cranky. Cranky because I had to go to work. Today should have been my last 8 hour shift. Now Wednesday is my first 12 hour shift. As of August 12 I was suppose to be working a mere there 4 hour shifts. Now as of August 22 I will be full time again (three 12 hour shifts). I know I am throwing myself a pity party but there is no way around it. Today I had to work with a coworker who was due 3 weeks behind me. Her belly reminds me constantly of where I should be and what I should look like. But my belly is flat...lifeless you could say. It saddens me. Of course I had to endure "some pregnancy conversations" and belly shows today. I just turn my head away and say (to myself) that someday it will once again be my turn. God has BIG plans for me (and my hubby)! Patience. Something my mother told me I never had...

I went to Brian's softball game tonight, we stopped by the cemetery, we got some ice cream, we went for a bike ride, and read our devotions. A relaxing summer night! Last week Brian and I decided that we wanted to read the Bible from front to back...a big task. So we added this to our daily devotions (along with Streams in the Desert and Fearless). Our Bible has a 3 year plan (we are going to try and do it in a year or less). It is quite refreshing reading stories about Adam, Noah, and Abraham. Stories that I have not read in a loooong time. Well tomorrow is another day (but a day that I have really been looking forward to)...stay tuned for (hopefully) a good post tomorrow!

Oh and the last thing that I have to share with you all tonight.  My sister emailed me earlier and what she wrote brought a smile to my face.  "Hey Linny, You feel better yet?" This is what I overheard Cambrey (my niece for those of you who don't know me well) saying into her pretend phone. She doesn't forget either.  How precious.   And mind you...she is only 2 years old (and 11 mons)! 


I have been through the valley of weeping,
The valley of sorrow and pain;
But the "God of all comfort" was with me,
At hand to uphold and sustain.

As the earth needs the clouds and sunshine,
Our souls need both sorrow and joy;
So He places us oft in the furnace,
The dross from the gold to destroy.

When he leads through some valley of trouble,
His omnipotent hand we trace;
For the trials and sorrows He sends us,
Are part of His lessons in grace.

Oft we run from the purging and pruning,
Forgetting the Gardener knows
That the deeper the cutting and trimming,
The richer the cluster that grows.

Well He knows that affliction is needed;
He has a wise purpose in view,
And in the dark valley He whispers,
"Soon you'll understand what I do."

As we travel through life's shadowed valley,
Fresh springs of His love ever rise;
And we learn that our sorrows and losses,
Are blessings just sent in disguise.

So we'll follow wherever He leads us,
Let the path be dreary or bright;
For we've proved that our God can give comfort;
Our God can give songs in the night.

(Streams in the Desert)

No comments:

Post a Comment