Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Good Day

Today was a BIG day for me.  It was finally August 10th afterall.  I have been anxiously waiting for this day for 5 long weeks.  Why was I so excited about this particular day you ask.  Well it was my 6 week post partum check up and consult appointment regarding future pregnancies (with my new high risk doctor).  To be honest I wasn't pumped about the post partum check up part but more about the other part.  Once we got the first part taken care of Dr. J (my high risk doc) came back in to talk to us about the more exciting part.  And as we left his office we were excited once again (and hopeful)!!!  So here it is.  Dr J is in agreement with Dr. D (my fertility doc) that it is more likely that my premature labor was caused by an infection rather than an incompetent cervix.  Nothing can be comfirmed (until a future pregnancy) but they both feel quite strongly about this for a couple of different reasons.  One reason is because I had to endure 24 hours of labor before my precious second daughter Ella was born.  I had about 14 hours of pitocin and 3 doses of a ripening agent before I finally delivered.  Both of my doctors agree that Ella should have come within an hour if the issue was an incompetent cervix.  Another reason is that both my girls placentas showed chronic (meaning old) infections.  This was new information to me since the other high risk group said that both placentas showed acute infections but that only baby A's showed a chronic infection.  Having chronic infections suggest that I might have had this infection for a long time.  And to add to it...baby A's placenta showed some necrosis.  Necrosis is the premature death of cells and living tissue.  In a nutshell this means one of two things.  It could mean that when I had some slight bleeding at 11 weeks some bacteria may have entered into my uterus or (and this is what Dr. J believes) that the infection lives within my uterus lining all the time.  Sounds bad but its really not once its detected.  The infection that was found in the girls placentas and amniotic fluid (same infection that might be in my uterus lining) is easily treated with antibiotics.  So with future pregnancy's I will be started on antibiotics early on and just in case of cervical incompetence I will get cervical measurements from weeks 14-26.  So I am as happy as I can be...believing that I may have a crazy infection that lives in my uterus lining.  An answer to prayer nevertheless.  Infections are easier to treat than cervical issues.  So I am thanking God for this "gift" tonight.  But I would appreciate the continued prayers as this journey to parenthood is far from done.  Once I do get pregnant again...regardless of everything above...I will still be a might bit anxious because you just never really know.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from…the Father.” James 1:17

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the good news! I know you and I know eachother through somewhat randomness :) but I wanted to let you know I am praying.

    ReplyDelete