Tuesday, November 2, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge...Day 23

Day 23: Favorite Vacation

I can't pick my fave so let me list a few in random order...

Aruba
Jamaica Mission Trip 
 Cancun Mexico
Riviera Maya Mexico (the honeymoon)! 
Texas/New Mexico
Europe
Breckenridge Ski Trip
Out West 2009

and a couple good weekends trips to...

New York City
Las Vegas 

And now let me briefly describe each... 

I went to Aruba my freshman year of high school two weeks prior to Springbreak with my grandma Vugteveen, my parents, and my sister.  My grandpa had passed away in September and my grandma didn't want to go to Aruba by herself so she paid for me and my sister to go and thus my parents decided to come too.  We had an amazing time and the best part was I got to miss a week of school.  It also didn't hurt that you could start laying out at 9am because the sun was already so warm.  This is one place I would love to visit again!

I went on a mission trip to Jamaica my junior year of college.  And it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  We worked by day at the Caribbean Christian Centre for the Deaf (CCCD) and by night we worshipped our Savior through songs and His Word.  Oh and we had lots of fun in between too!  You can read more about CCCD here.  The only downside of this trip was that I tore my ACL playing soccer...Jamaican style.
Praise and Worship

The WHOLE Gang

My family went on our very last trip of six my freshman year of college to Cancun, Mexico. The weather was PERFECT every single day. It was our Christmas present that year. And pretty sure it is (and always will be) my favorite Christmas present!

Which brings me to my honeymoon to Riviera Maya, Mexico. Since we got married in December...we were really looking forward to our warm, sunny, and relaxing honeymoon. Afterall, when I went back in college the weather was wonderful (and sunny all the time). Well it was warm and relaxing but NOT so sunny. I think we got 2 afternoons of sun out of the whole week. It was kind of disappointing but hey it was our honeymoon which means we still had fun!!!

After a year of working fulltime I decided I needed a trip.  So I chatted with a couple of friends and put my plans into action.  First stop was Texas to visit one of my best friends from freshmen year of college. (This dear friend had transfered out of Hope after freshie year).  But I am so glad we stayed in touch.  I had a blast visiting her in Austin, Texas with a side trip to San Antonio.  We had a jammed packed 4 days of fun.
Me and Katie at an outdoor Country concert!

And then off I went to lil 'ole Rehoboth, New Mexico to visit my best friend from high school and her hubby.  We relaxed tons and hiked tons too!!!  The best hiking being done in the Grand Canyon.
Noell and I
The Grand Canyon
Me, Noell, and her hubby Jeff

In between my junior and senior year of college I traveled to Europe for 5 weeks. The first week was full of non-planned adventurous fun. Me and 4 friends took Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome, and Cinque Terre) by storm and ended with one night in Zurich, Switzerland. And the last 4 weeks were spent studying Austrian Art and Architecture in Vienna, Austria. Oh and I guess we made a handful of memories in the metropolis of Vienna too (where we were joined by other Hope students)!
In front of the Colosseum

In January 2009 (days after the hubby and I got engaged) a group of my friends and I headed to Colorado for a short week of skiing at Breckenridge Ski Resort.  ***This trip was planned before the hubby was even in the picture so unfortunately he didn't come with.***  We (Karie, Chad, Nick, Krista, Jim, Dave, and myself ) drove to Denver first to pick up Mike and Amy and then it was onward to our cabin in the mountains!  Now I am not a big skier (this was my first skiing trip since MIDDLE SCHOOL...yes middle school).  But I did manage to have some fun with it and to not hurt myself in the process.  But lets be honest after 2 days of skiing I called it quits.  Luckily the rest of the gals were with me and we enjoyed getting massages, shopping, and relaxing on the other 2 days!
Me, Krista, Kare, and Ame
(don't mind the Oompa Loompa look with ORANGE gloves)!
The whole group...
(back: Chad, Nick, Jim, Dave, and Mike
and front: Krista, Karie, Me, and Amy)

Last fall Brian and I headed out west to see Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, and Jackson Hole.  We had a awesome time driving through the parks seeing God's beautiful creation.  We also went kayaking, horseback-riding, whitewater rafting...memories made that will last a lifetime!
Yellowstone
Jackson Hole
Grand Tetons

And a couple of weekends to remember include...one spent in New York City with our friends the Zeinstra's (described in yesterday's blog posting) and a weekend in Las Vegas with our friends the Nyenhuis' and Schuilings!
THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!
On top of our Hotel with the Vegas strip in the background

Ohhh and because this post isn't long enough already...one last trip to Arizona (with the hubby and the in-law's) that needs to be mentioned.  We went to Arizona to visit Brian's Uncle Don and Aunt Mary who treated us like royalty.  We stayed at their house on the hills of Paradise Valley and enjoyed day trips, hiking trips, and dinners at some of the tastiest restaurants around!
A day trip to Sedona
At the top of Camelback Mountain

Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. Hosea 6:1

No comments:

Post a Comment