Wednesday, June 29, 2011

(Again) The Day Before...

Yet another trip down memory lane...

Every morning I had a 6am wake up call to get my blood drawn. And then around 8am my doctor (and a posse of residents) would come in with the results. Normally I would hear that my labs were rising but not significantly enough to be concerned. However, on June 29 we were told that my WBC (white blood count) had jumped significantly and that our only option at this point was to induce. I started crying and looked at Brian (and my mom). We told the doctor that we needed some time alone and she told us to let her know when we were ready to induce (yes when we were ready to induce not when we had reached a decision). I turned to Brian and said...we need a second opinion but that I didn't know if that was allowed. Brian said we would not induce without a second opinion. My nurse came in a few minutes later and we told her that we would like a second opinion from Dr. Jelsema (a perinatologist in another practice and my current physician). I had heard so many good things about him and there is NO way I would induce my sweet baby without hearing specifically why this was for the best.

A few minutes later my doctor came in and said that they don't normally do second opinions but that they would permit one for us. Excuse me...permit us. Right then and there I was done with her. Less than an hour later Dr. Jelsema walked in and the first thing he said was hold tight to the truth in there (pointing at our Bible). He sat down and explained that it was only a matter of time before I became sick. So sick that I could lose my uterus or my life. He also explained that our sweet baby was already so infected that there was no chance she would survive. He let us ask questions and then he prayed with us. We were sold. We called my nurse and told her we were ready.

At 10am I was started on pitocin. And if you can believe it or not around dinner time NO progress had been made. After dinner they let me get up for the first time in 15 days to take a shower. Then we started the cervidil supps (they are suppose to ripen up your cervix). After 3 doses (given every 4 hours)...only mild changes had occurred. Sometime early in the morning I was started on pitocin again and that is when the contractions started. Finally after enduring a long night of no sleep I was given an epidural around 7am. And I finally got some much needed rest. I woke up two hours later and called the nurse to be checked. She said I was ready and so the doctor was called... (Thankfully it was an on-call doctor from another practice who normally delivers for this group of perinatologists).

After Ella was born I asked if it was a good thing that I had labored for 24 hours. And my doctor (back to the one that I didn't like) immediately said yes. She said that if I truly had an incompetent cervix then I should have delivered within a hour or two...not 24. The only bit of good news in my day...

Combat comes before victory. If God has chosen special trials for you to endure, be assured He has kept a very special place in His heart just for you. A badly bruised soul is one who is chosen. (Streams in the Desert)

So I'm heading out camping today!!! Every year since I can remember my family has gone camping to Holland State Park over the 4th of July. I look forward to it every year. Two years ago it was sooooo cold that we never even made it to the beach and then of course last year it was beyond beautiful but I was in the hospital and when released in NO mood to go camping. So this year I am praying for a few nice days...with the humidity...rain is of course in the forecast. Either way I don't have to work for 7 days and I get to be with my family!!! Since the men (including my hubby) don't join in until the weekend I'll make sure Brian posts Ella's birthday letter tomorrow :) See you next week!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment