Monday, August 15, 2011

The Journey: Week 20 and Appointment Update

August 15
How Far Along: 20 weeks and 1 day.

Size of Baby: Our little bug-a-boo is on average 10 inches long (head to HEEL) and weighs about 10.5 ounces. Or for comparisons sake...the length of a banana.


***(For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his/her torso (they are hard to measure), so measurements are taken from the top of his/her head to his/her bottom--the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he/she is measured from head to toe.)***

Picture of Baby:
Our lil acrobat (toes touching head)!!!

20 weeks: Baby H. is swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his/her digestive system. He/she is also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his/her bowels, and I'll see it in his/her first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery). (Information taken from babycenter.com)

Maternity Clothes: All maternity bottoms and a few maternity tanks.

Weight Gain: Down 3 pounds. So of course this freaked me out...that is until I looked at my weight chart from the girls and saw that I went up and down 2-3 pounds weekly. I will admit that I have been a little anxious/stressed this week and we all know what that does to me so I am not surprised I am down a bit. But it also makes me think that the 4 pound weight gain a few weeks ago might have been a lot of fluid weight...who knows. Anyways I am up a total of 11lbs...not too bad for 20 weeks!

Belly:


 Sleep: I don't always sleep the greatest but what pregger does?

Best Moment of the Week: Hearing that buggy is healthy and growing right on!!!

Movement: All the time :)

Symptoms: Same ole same.

Gender: All I know is that the parts look good!!!

What I'm Looking Forward to: Reaching 24 weeks

Milestones: Buggy is half-baked. And I have had NO complications. What an answer to prayer!

Emotions: Friday into Saturday were some hard days. Actually at one point I was on the phone with my mom for over 2 hours (most of it spent with me in tears). It really hit me (on Friday) that at the exact same point (19 weeks 5 days) in my pregnancy (with the girls) things fell completely apart. So it really just makes me want to go to my appointment tomorrow and hear that everything is still looking perfect. And then I can once again breath a sigh of relief. I am also really anticipating these next few weeks (as I have mentioned before) so needless to say I just wanna make it to 24 weeks with things still looking perfect. So here's to praying that time continues to move by quickly!!!

**********************************************************
And a little more on Emotion...

I follow a blog called Katie's Keepers and she wrote something the other day that I thought was absolutely beautiful and so well written. So well written that I wanted to share it with any of you who do not follow her blog. *A little back story is that she lost her precious daughter Reese 2 years ago and this little blurb is just a little of what she shared on Reese's 2 year anniversary post.*


"Many of you have been so encouraging to say we have handled this path with strength and faith. I love and trust Jesus with everything in me, but oh my goodness, if you could only see the mess of my heart. How can anyone truly handle the death of a child with grace? Grief is a complicated ugly thing, and it has bled into every part of me, leaving nothing untouched. Someone emailed me recently saying that losing a child takes away the innocence of pregnancy. It's true. It takes away the innocence of many things. Reese makes me a better woman and mom, but the effects of losing her are endless and great. Jason and I have been attacked like never before, but by GOD's grace we have always stood side by side. He is my best friend and the love of my life....Losing a child can become a silent grief. But it's a silence only the LORD can fill and He does if I let Him".


I couldn't agree more with each and every word she wrote. Grief is ugly. Grief is hard. And grieving for my daughters will be a lifetime struggle. A burden that I know God will help me carry. Losing the girl's (and Luke) has taken almost all the joy out of my current pregnancy. This pregnancy has been ridden with anxiety and stress from the very start. I hardly dare set up a crib for fear I will jinx something. I hardly dare register in case I don't get to use any of the stuff anyways. From the moment I found out I was pregnant I have been consumed with losing this baby too. But I too agree that it takes away more than just the innocence of pregnancy. It takes away so much more. It has changed who I am. It has changed my outlook on life. It has changed my marriage. It has changed EVERYTHING
********************************************************
APPOINTMENT UPDATE
Here's the short and sweet version...everything looked good (once again)!!! Baby was busy showing off (hence the acrobatic pic above). My cervix came in at 36mm (yea)!!! The tech even got one measurement of 40mm but the rest were closer to 36mm...so 36mm it is. And baby's heartbeat was 162. And that basically wraps up this week's appointment beside the funny little story that I am about to share. 


So I was telling Dr. J that I dislike the vaginal probe...(yes once again "wandy" and I had a little get together down yonder). I told him that the main reason I don't like them is because I do NOT like sticking the probe in myself. *On a side note during fertility treatments my doctor and nurses insert the probe...NOT ME* And this is what Dr. J said...I seriously almost wet myself! He said to him it makes more sense for the patient to insert the probe so that we can insert it at our own pace. And so that a tech doesn't yank on any pubic hair. But then he said...however...we don't see much pubic hair these days. Que laughter!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha...that is really funny. I have to say that I have wondered if it's weird to the doctor when there isn't any pubic hair, or if it's pretty much the norm these days.

    ReplyDelete