Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Journey: Week 24 and Appointment Update

September 13
How Far Along: 24 weeks and 2 days.

Size of Baby: 
Our little bug-a-boo is on average 12 inches (1 WHOLE foot) long (head to heel) and still just over a pound in weight. Or for comparisons sake...the length of an ear of corn. 

Picture of Baby: No picture this week which I was bummed about...


24 weeks: 
 My baby is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him/her at just over a pound (yes for the third week in a row…just over a pound). Buggy must actually be nearing 2lbs since he/she weighed 1 pound 9 oz as of this past Tuesday!!! Since he/she is almost a foot long, he/she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his/her body is filling out proportionally and he/she will soon start to plump up. His/her brain is also growing quickly now, and his/her taste buds are continuing to develop. His/her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his/her air sacs inflate once he/she hits the outside world. His/her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon. (Information taken from babycenter.com)


Maternity Clothes: I can still wear some non-maternity shirts/dresses but more often than not I have been wearing maternity EVERYTHING :)

Weight Gain: Up another 2lbs...making the total a pound less than 20.


Belly:

and a close-up shot of the big-o-belly :)


Stretch Marks: Haven't noticed any yet but I can definitely feel my skin stretching...thinking I should just start slathering on some anti-stretch mark cream...

Sleep: I love when I sleep for a solid 4 hours.

Best Moment of the Week: Every time I feel my sweet love move...and making it to viability!!!

Movement: Movement is becoming more and more as Buggy grows bigger and bigger. I can def feel his/her head or butt frequently. And Buggy LOVES the right side of my uterus...doesn't care so much for the left side. Last night I told Brian to come and watch my belly button...it was moving up and down as Bug was doing his/her thing. He said he didn't need me to show him that again...men.



What I'm Looking Forward to: Hitting the 28 week mark...an important milestone in a baby's development. And I'm also looking forward to registering which will be happening a week from Monday (with my sister)...yea!!!

Milestones: I made it to 24 weeks...can you say VIABILITY baby!!! But Buggy PLEASE stay put for at least another 13-14 weeks.

Emotions: Still anxious but every day it gets a little bit better.



APPOINTMENT UPDATE
Ahhhhh...pregnancy is suppose to be ENJOYABLE. Enjoyable...ha. Enjoyable would NOT be the best word to describe this pregnancy. Anxiety-producing would be a much better fit. 


On Saturday in the midst of another anxiety filled day I was talking to my mom on the phone saying that I just wanted this pregnancy to be over (meaning that I wish it was December already). But my wise mom said...Lindsey you just need to take this pregnancy one day at a time and try to enjoy every day that this little life is inside of you. And so I will try. I will try my best to enjoy every minute that Buggy is growing inside of me but all this anxiety is getting really old. And then today I got a card in the mail (from my mom of course). The front just said HOPE. And the inside said...Hope has the power to make the world look better. I can already picture you heading into a happier time. Hope you can, too. Perfect words for another so so appointment...


As I was leaving my house this morning for my doctor appointment I said a little prayer. I prayed that this would in fact be my last cervical check. As always the nerves were right there with me as I laid on the table. And the nerves picked up a notch or ten when the US tech (who NEVER vag wands me unless she "sees something") said that we would have to do the vaginal probe today. Oh boy...what's wrong now was all I could think. Well my cervix was still nice and long and closed BUT Miss funneling decided to rear her ugly head again. My cervix would have been 38mm but Miss funneling brought her down to 31mm. Now I know that I am still measuring in the normal range but I just HATE that I funneled again.


So before my nurse took my blood pressure I told her that I could already feel the blood pumping and that it was going to be high. Sure enough...it was 140/78. Dr. J came in and told us right away that he was once again NOT worried with the little bit of funneling. He said you still have an excellent measurement. And also reminded me that funneling occurs in EVERY pregnant woman. I just happen to have weekly ultrasounds so my funneling gets caught more than the average pregger. He then said I know we talked last week about this being your last cervical check and switching you to every other week appointments but would you like to come back next week for another cervical check. I immediately said YES. And he said...then that's what we will do. He gave my arm a squeeze as we walked out and said that he will continue to do whatever I need to feel comfortable (and keep the anxiety down). He didn't even mention coming in on Thursday for the cervical recheck or taking me off work which actually made me feel better. So after the appointment I still ran all my errands but this evening and tomorrow I am and will take it easy. Unfortunately I still have to work both Thursday and Friday. But on the flipside it encourages me that he doesn't think I need to be on any restrictions. I am a little lot more calm this funneling go-around BUT it sure would be nice to walk out of an appointment with NOTHING BUT GOOD NEWS. Here's to praying that my wish will come true next week!


PLEASE be praying this week that week 25 really will mark my last cervical check and that I will walk out with NO funneling and a perfect measurement still within the normal range. However, I do know that at this point in a pregnancy that everyone's cervix naturally starts shortening but I am hoping for one more week of normal.

3 comments:

  1. You can't convince me that you've gained 19-pounds! You are alllll belly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent checked in for awhile, but sure am excited to see the awesome baby belly... Always praying for great outcome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the anxiety...I've had it really bad..it's terrible. I just want to enjoy the pregnancy! You are looking beautiful and I'll be praying for good news at your next cervical check!

    ReplyDelete