Monday, October 24, 2011

Anxiety: Let GO and Let GOD

I read the below devotional a few days ago when I was feeling extremely anxious about my high blood pressure and all the ramifications it (my blood pressure) could have on both me and the baby. It was a good reminder that I need to Let GO and Let GOD. He is in control...not little ole me. But boy oh boy is it ever hard to just let go.


ANXIETY IS A RESULT OF envisioning the future without Me. So the best defense against worry is staying in communication with Me. When you turn your thoughts toward Me, you can think much more positively. Remember to listen, as well as to speak, making your thoughts a dialogue with Me.

If you must consider upcoming events, follow these rules: 1) Do not linger in the future, because anxieties sprout up like mushrooms when you wander there. 2) Remember the promise of My continual Presence; include Me in any imagery that comes to mind. This mental discipline does not come easily, because you are accustomed to being god of your fantasies. However, the reality of My Presence with you, now and forevermore, outshines any fantasy you could ever imagine. (Jesus Calling)

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

A few days ago someone asked me how I was feeling. I said something about being my typical worried self only this time because of my high blood pressure and this person responded by telling me to just not worry. And to just give it all up to Him. Now I know this person meant well but telling someone to "just not worry" and to "just give it all up to Him"  is not a helpful statement...especially if you have not walked in my shoes. It's very easy to tell someone to just not worry if you've had no issues getting or staying pregnant but after all I have been through...pregnancy is NOT a joyride. I have never had a good (pregnancy) outcome so as my counselor tells me...I am just waiting for something bad to happen in this pregnancy as well. And my counselor has also told me that many moms who have lost babies think that if they worry about bad things happening then maybe those bad things won't happen. I think this sounds a tad bit like me...don't ya think.

I know that this person was basically saying the same thing as my devotional (from above)...meaning Let GO and Let GOD. But reading it and hearing it are two different things. I know its wrong to worry but I am after all only human. And what human doesn't worry every now and then. And what woman doesn't worry when she is carrying a precious life. Now imagine that you have lost 3 precious lives...wouldn't you be worrying about losing a fourth precious life?  The answer is YES...YES you would be worrying. I do not know a single woman who has lost a baby that doesn't worry about losing another child in a subsequent pregnancy. So moral of the story...do not tell someone to just not worry. Tell them instead that you will be praying for them to give it all up to God. Because I do pray every day for these fears, worries, and anxieties to go away. But its just not that easy which is why almost daily I say to myself..."Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34)

And another favorite verses (Philippians 4:6-7) says it perfectly..."do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2 comments:

  1. I just have to thank you for this post! I have been having major issues with anxiety. I really need to update my own blog with everything that has been going on, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. I am going to copy alot of this post, if it's okay, and put it in my own blog because I want to remember it often. Thank you for this blog Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo torn between pray without ceasing, love never quits and the parable Jesus told of the woman who didn't stop asking for what she wanted til she got it - and then be still, let go and let God, God will fight for you... I'm really torn up and confused. I've written my visions and I'm trying to wait... I feel like things are getting worse...

    ReplyDelete