Friday, June 2, 2017

The Beginning (October 20-December 8)

This pregnancy (at least the start) was SUCH an emotional roller coaster. I will not be sharing all the details of the twins story as the beginning was a very difficult and trying time in our lives. Ironic I know since having a bab(ies) should be the most exciting time of ones life. So here's our story in bullet points. (Please disregard the present and past tense. I initially wrote this back in Oct-Dec but revised some of it just recently).

October 20...Cycle started. Called the Fertility Center to let them know. Told me to start testing (for my LH surge) on day 8 which would be 10/27/16. (We had decided to implant our remaining two embryos using a natural cycle. Meaning NO medication. Hence the testing for my LH surge).
October 27...Started checking for my LH surge.
November 3... Still haven't surged. Called the Fertility office to set up an ultrasound for late the following afternoon. I was getting worried because I work the weekend and would not be able to get an ultrasound should I surge on Saturday or Sunday. And you HAVE to get an ultrasound on the day or the day after you surge.
November 4...Finally (on day 16) a positive LH Surge. Glad I already had an appointment set up for later this afternoon. Appointment showed we were a GO. Transfer set for Tuesday. I should stop and mention here (again) that we chose to do a natural cycle. Meaning NO meds. Everything is natural as in my bodies own doing except obviously the embryos. We were VERY happy with our family of 5 and honestly didn't really want another baby (and for sure not two more). Doing it the natural route gave us a 10% less chance of success. (Still had a 38% chance it would take). We were encouraged by Dr. Dodds (a Christian man) that we were using our embryos to their full potential (that many people opt this route to finish off their embryos). The embryos would be transferred at my most fertile time of the month (hence checking my LH surge and the ultrasound to confirm surge). If God wanted them to stick He would make it happen.
November 8...Implantation day.
Last picture as a mom of three (Earthly) babies
The embabies
And they are in...
I drove myself to implantation because Dr. Dodds said it was unnecessary that Brian come with. Of course once called back the first thing the nurse says to me is "do you have someone to drive you home?" I said nope Dr. Dodds said that was unnecessary and since this is my 7th implantation I felt more than comfortable coming by myself. She then says "did you take the Valium?" I said yep the nurse told me to on the phone. Her response..."well then you can't drive yourself home. Seriously?! (Although this does make complete sense). So before I went back for the transfer I called Brian (who did not answer) and then my mom. She answered and immediately headed my way to come and pick me up. Thank goodness for parents. (My dad stayed with my hooligans).
November 14...Finally made US appointment (if blood test is positive)...else appointment would just be canceled. Ultrasound set for Dec 8 at 11am.
November 16...Spotted while at work. Text Brian the {good} news. Feeling relieved.
November 17...Holy crap a positive pregnancy test. Guess that spotting was implantation spotting. Brian's response when I called was...thanks for ruining my day. Oh boy. Someone is less than thrilled.
November 18...Blood test came back positive too. Hcg was 154 (on day 11). Call came just after 3pm. Freaking {and I mean FREAKING) out that its twins. My hcg on day 12 with the twins was 156. I am not going to share all the details of this evening but it is a night I (we) will never forget as long as I (we) live. It was not a celebratory night to put it bluntly. Also spotted a little more today. Oh also changed US to December 5 at 4:20pm.
November 19...Dark long day. Went to Hudsonville Parade for a distraction from what feels like our life falling apart. Spotted some more.
November 21...Called the Fertility Center to ask Sandy (my main IVF nurse) some hcg questions. Wondering if natural cycles can produced different hcg levels. As in higher levels quicker. My first hcg with Crew (at day 14) was 702. Long story short its possible natural cycles produce higher levels of hcg but we won't know for sure until US day. December 5 seems forever and ions away.
November 22...Blood test #2. Hcg was 688. Dodds called to say congrats. I was putting Crew to bed and missed the message. It was 8:01pm. His congrats almost made me puke. In a dark spot. Praying for God to take these feelings away.
November 23...Brian and I talk (really talk) for the first time since (well since implantation) but what I was going to say was since finding out we were expecting again. Had a really good talk. We got this. Family of 6 or family of 7. Oh my word...please be a family of 6. Slept half way decent for the first time in a week.
November 24...Thanksgiving Day. Glad for time with family but man are my hormones making me crazy. One minute feeling happy. The next sad. The next...well it just never ends.
December 5...US Day. O.M.G...it's TWINS. No exclamation point here.
Other notes for remembrance sake: Barely ate for three days. (The Thursday of the positive pregnancy test and the following two days). Then only minimally for the next few. Once the nerves finally settled {as in Brian and I finally got on the same page/started talking) I finally started eating a little better. Other early symptoms I had were back aches. Of course the spotting. Dry mouth at night and being super thirsty throughout the day. Water being my number one choice to drink (so unlike all my other pregnancies).

No comments:

Post a Comment